Sunday, September 28, 2008

On "The Ecstasy of Influence"

A very intriguing article. When I first began to read I felt a defense come up as I read the authors words (much taken from others, but freely admitted and cited later), because I can't stand plagiarism. As I read on however, my opinion has changed to a degree.

No, you should not steal papers and type your name on the top and turn it in as your own, but how can you always remember if you read what you said someplace ? As I read Jonathan Lethem's article and his break down of second, third, fourth, and beyond "uses" of different works ranging from novels to art to music, I could not help but wonder why is the world so defensive and possessive over materials? If medical researchers shared information, how much further could we be? I never before contemplated the irony of Disney suing other people for usage of their movies when all their movies are borrowed from other sources.

I agree with the authors view on how Jefferson would view copyrights and how they evolved away from his intentions, but I bet he would be pulling his hair out over many changes that have occurred in the government that he felt ought not to be. Should we not be human beings working for the betterment of society?

A final question that I often think about when writing papers for classes, Is there anymore original thought? Can I actually come up with an idea no one else has thought of? I doubt it.

3 comments:

Bill L. said...

Fun posting. For what it's worth, I can relate to your reaction. These are murky waters.

I struggle to leave you wth a suggestion. Did you have any examples to share? I'm not sure if that would be helpful. Also, be careful with possessive vs. plural.

Makes Sense said...

We do get a good sense as to what you think about some of the issues but why do you think some of these things? Lay more of a foundation in your blogs to see if you can not only say what, but why as well. Makes your posts much richer.

ENG 380 said...

Relation to the article exists in your blog. This is an effective way to "blog" about the assigned article.