Sunday, October 12, 2008

On "A Brief History of Memoir - Bashing" by Ben Yagoda

Can you lie in a memoir? Of course you can, but should you? In my opinion, when a person lies it leaves the genre of memior and enters into fiction. There is no point of writing a memoir if you are going to exaggerate and lie about what happened.

I have to admit I am a person who does not care for memoir for the general public. For example, My grandfather from Germany wrote some memoirs before he passed away and I am very glad because it allows me to know more about him, but he wrote it only for his family. On the other hand, I would never pick up one written by a "famous" person, it does not interest me.

1 comment:

Valentine said...

I think you have a strong opening paragraph. I agree that lying in a memoir only results in fiction. I don't know if I would end by saying that other memoirs besides ones for family do not interest you.