Saturday, October 18, 2008

On "On Writing" by Stephen King

One of the things that struck me about the pages we read this week was that the number one tool in your toolbox is vocabulary. When King showed the examples of the several types of vocabulary it really impressed me how words can change the style, tone, and meaning of a work. When he talked about just using your normal vocabulary and not trying to dress it up, it made me think of when I was back it high school and I would look up word in a thesaurus to sound smarter. Luckily I have abandoned that practice! I agree that you should use the word you thought of because that is usually the word that portrays what you are trying to say, how you want to say it, and it reveals your voice.

2 comments:

PinkDiamondz said...

i wrote the same thing for my blog. i agree with the vocab because it shows the true self in a person.

Pure Beauty said...

I also agree about the vocab...i think everybody use the thesaurus..but i also think it depends on your audience..